Yoga Therapy for the Heart and Improving Relationships
Addressing Physical / Mental / Emotional Imbalances
I believe that teaching yoga is one of the most fulfilling and purposeful vocations one can pursue. Nothing feels better than building a heart-to-heart relationship with a student and growing together over time with a shared love for the practice. I believe the world would be a better place if everyone practiced yoga and I’m extremely passionate about educating high quality yoga teachers and finding innovative ways to spread the teachings of yoga far and wide. These online courses are part of this collective effort...
Module 9: Yoga Therapy for the Heart and Improving Relationships explores the multi-dimensional nature of the heart. According to the Yoga Sutras, the heart is the seat of the mind / consciousness, as well as the emotional / spiritual center of our being. So we'll dive deep into that towards the end of the lecture, as a way to connect to the subtle and most intimate layers of our being.
In the first part of the lecture, we'll explore why heart disease is the leading cause of mortality in the modern world and identify the underlying risk factors associated with heart disease, as well as emotional imbalances such as isolation and depression that affect heart health.
We'll discuss application of yoga therapy tools for the physical / mental / emotional / spiritual aspects of the heart health and contraindications.
Module lectures include:
- MOD9L1 The Circulatory System and CVD
- MOD9L2 Yoga Therapy for Heart Health
- MOD9L3 The Heart - Mind Connection
- MOD9L4 Relationship Tools
- MOD9 Case Study and Key Concepts
- The yoga view of the heart vs the western view of the heart
- How does the mind affect the heart?
- How do emotions affect the heart?
- The heart-mind connection
- Heart disease – why have our hearts become so sick? Physical / mental / emotional / spiritual imbalances
- Yoga therapy tools for the physical / mental / emotional / spiritual aspects of the heart health and contraindications
- Developing heart-to-heart relationships
- The yoga of relationships – applying the yamas to personal and professional relationships
The Complete Course
This module is part of a lager course titled "Yoga Therapy Foundations and Public Health Tools" is the cornerstone of our Level 1 Foundations of Yoga Therapy Training and is part of our 850-hour IAYT accredited Yoga Therapist Training.
I am most proud of this course, as it combines my Masters Degree in Public Health with decades of Yoga Therapy philosophy and practice. I LOVE teaching this 13-month course at our studio Be The Change Yoga and it was THIS course that inspired me to start cataloguing my brain into these online courses, as I had many students from out of state wishing to take this course but unable to attend in person.
This module can be purchased a la carte or is included in the Yoga Therapy Tools and Public Health Course.
Katie Allen, MPH, C-IAYT co-founded Be The Change Yoga, a studio and Center for Higher Education in Orange County, CA. The studio is deeply rooted in the philosophical foundations of yoga and understanding of yoga as a therapeutic modality. The studio offers Orange County's only Yoga Therapist Training program.