Yoga Therapy for Anxiety and Depression
Assessment, Tools and Plan Development
I believe that teaching yoga is one of the most fulfilling and purposeful vocations one can pursue. Nothing feels better than building a heart-to-heart relationship with a student and growing together over time with a shared love for the practice. I believe the world would be a better place if everyone practiced yoga and I’m extremely passionate about educating high quality yoga teachers and finding innovative ways to spread the teachings of yoga far and wide. These online courses are part of this collective effort...
Module 10: Yoga Therapy for Anxiety and Depression dives into mental / emotional imbalances, seeking to understand pathology from a Western perspective, as well as through the lens of the gunas, an energetic perspective.
This explores the multi-dimensional nature of mental / emotional imbalances and how they may manifest on other layers according to the panchamaya analysis. We will discuss correct application of yoga tools including asana, pranayama, dhyanam, bhavana and lifestyle practices for clients experiencing anxiety and depression, while taking into consideration age and stage of life and sequencing according to energetic effect (brahmana and langhana).
Module lectures include:
- MOD10L1 Yoga Therapy for Anxiety
- MOD10L2 Yoga Therapy for Depression
- MOD10 Case Study and Key Concepts
- Anxiety and Depression: physical / mental / emotional / energetic factors and yoga therapy tools
- APA definition of anxiety verses yoga therapy definition of anxiety through the gunas
- How to cultivate the opposite? How can yogic therapy practices reduce anxiety?
- Addressing anxiety on the yoga mat and offering basic off the mat yoga therapy lifestyle practices to work with triggers
- Basic langhana yoga therapy practices for anxiety
- APA definition of depression verses yoga therapy definition of depression through the gunas
- How to cultivate the opposite? How can yoga therapy practices reduce depression?
- Addressing depression on the yoga mat and offering basic off the mat yoga therapy lifestyle practices to work with triggers
- Adapting yoga therapy brahmana practices for clients with depression
The Complete Course
This module is part of a lager course titled "Yoga Therapy Foundations and Public Health Tools" is the cornerstone of our Level 1 Foundations of Yoga Therapy Training and is part of our 850-hour IAYT accredited Yoga Therapist Training.
I am most proud of this course, as it combines my Masters Degree in Public Health with decades of Yoga Therapy philosophy and practice. I LOVE teaching this 13-month course at our studio Be The Change Yoga and it was THIS course that inspired me to start cataloguing my brain into these online courses, as I had many students from out of state wishing to take this course but unable to attend in person.
This module can be purchased a la carte or is included in the Yoga Therapy Tools and Public Health Course.
Katie Allen, MPH, C-IAYT co-founded Be The Change Yoga, a studio and Center for Higher Education in Orange County, CA. The studio is deeply rooted in the philosophical foundations of yoga and understanding of yoga as a therapeutic modality. The studio offers Orange County's only Yoga Therapist Training program.