Yoga Therapy Applications for the Spine
Addressing Physical / Mental / Emotional Imbalances
I believe that teaching yoga is one of the most fulfilling and purposeful vocations one can pursue. Nothing feels better than building a heart-to-heart relationship with a student and growing together over time with a shared love for the practice. I believe the world would be a better place if everyone practiced yoga and I’m extremely passionate about educating high quality yoga teachers and finding innovative ways to spread the teachings of yoga far and wide. These online courses are part of this collective effort...
Module 6: Yoga Therapy Applications for the Spine explores the basic anatomy of the spine as well as common spinal ailments that can be easily remedied with yoga therapy such as herniated discs, strained low back muscles, SI sprain, sciatica / piriformis or gluteal syndrome.
We'll understand the environmental conditions impacting the health and wellbeing of the spine, as well as explore the energetic and emotional aspects associated with spinal misalignments.
Module lectures include:
- MOD6L1 Anatomy of the Spine
- MOD6L2 Common Spinal Ailments and Yoga Therapy Tools
- MOD6L3 Emotional and Energetic Aspects of the Spine
- MOD6 Case Study and Key Concepts
- The spine: broad strokes overview physical / mental / emotional imbalances
- Anatomy of the spine
- Curves of the spine
- Movements of the spine
- Environmental effects on movement patterns
- Overview of types of flexion faults: herniated discs, strained low back muscles, SI sprain, sciatica / piriformis or gluteal syndrome
- Yoga therapy practices and contraindications for flexion faults
- Overview of specific postures for flexion faults and contraindications
- Emotional aspects of the spine – how to assess clients emotional state based upon posture
- Understanding of how posture impacts the flow of prana within the 3 primary energetic channels
- How a kyphotic posture impacts respiratory capacity and positioning of the organs
The Complete Course
This module is part of a lager course titled "Yoga Therapy Foundations and Public Health Tools" is the cornerstone of our Level 1 Foundations of Yoga Therapy Training and is part of our 850-hour IAYT accredited Yoga Therapist Training.
I am most proud of this course, as it combines my Masters Degree in Public Health with decades of Yoga Therapy philosophy and practice. I LOVE teaching this 13-month course at our studio Be The Change Yoga and it was THIS course that inspired me to start cataloguing my brain into these online courses, as I had many students from out of state wishing to take this course but unable to attend in person.
This module can be purchased a la carte or is included in the Yoga Therapy Tools and Public Health Course.
Katie Allen, MPH, C-IAYT co-founded Be The Change Yoga, a studio and Center for Higher Education in Orange County, CA. The studio is deeply rooted in the philosophical foundations of yoga and understanding of yoga as a therapeutic modality. The studio offers Orange County's only Yoga Therapist Training program.